Thursday 25 March 2010

Democratizing Africa

My opinion on democracy in Africa is complicated, having written a major (and poorly reviewed) university piece about it. My general sense is that democracy in the Western sense is misplaced in different cultural contexts, and we should build upon modern forms of local governance traditions. Associations, which govern nearly every professional avenue in Nigeria and remind me a bit of Western guilds, may be one of these.

Nevertheless, its interesting to see efforts to drive interest and make democracy work. Electionnaire.com is a striking example of this out of Sudan. Big up the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, the foundation of the German Social Democrats, for supporting this initiative. I only have two questions
  1. How many people have access to the internet in Sudan and would actually make use of this tool?
  2. Where can I get this for the upcoming UK elections?
Hat tip: Texas in Africa

No comments: